- Do run a strong flow of water while grinding.
- Do run water for at least 30 seconds after out of the disposal.
- Do run the disposal each time waste is put in.
- Do use small batches, disposing of large amounts, especially starchy foods (i.e. potato peels, rice, pasta, etc.).
- Do cut fibrous foods into small pieces before grinding (i.e. cabbage, asparagus, banana peels, etc.).
- Do run disposal with ice and/or citrus peel to clean and deodorize as needed.
- Do not grind bones, shells, or very fibrous things (i.e. artichokes, corn cobs or corn husks)
- Do not stuff with large amounts of food at one time.
If the garbage disposal doesn’t work?
- If the disposal makes no noise when you turn it on, this is frequently an indication that the disposal was jammed and the current overload was tripped.
- Locate and press the reset button (located on the bottom of most units), then check for a jam before turning on.
- If still no noise, check breaker in electrical panel, reset, then check for a jam before turning on.
- If it makes a buzzing noise but doesn’t operate, turn the unit off.
- Look inside and see if there is a spoon or other object inside and needs to be dislodged.
- Before putting your hand or tools into the disposal, unplug it or turn off the breaker in the electrical panel.
- If this doesn’t work, call a plumber.